Thursday, August 23, 2007

Flat breads and other bakes

"Americans have recently embraced focaccia, Italy's famous flatbread, but Helou knows a world beyond — the puffy fried flatbread of Yemen, eaten with cilantro chutney, tomato and chopped eggs; the spicy lamb-topped flatbread of Turkey; the flaky Moroccan griddle bread seasoned with cumin and onions; an Egyptian bread stretched as long as the baker's arm; and, of course, the breakfast bread of her native country, a thin disk basted with olive oil and aromatic za'atar, a Middle Eastern thyme-based seasoning. Her delightful book, Mediterranean Street Food (HarperCollins, 2002), details several of her flatbread findings; all the recipes with this story are adapted from it. Savory Baking from the Mediterranean, which came out just last week, contains even more"

I need this book. I could not find it in Beirut. If anyone reading this is coming soon to Beirut, could you please obtain a copy for me? Thanks.

4 comments:

Ms Levantine said...

I ordered the book for you. You will get it the second week of Sep. at the latest.

Now I need my laurel soap and some olive oil.

MM.

Rania Masri said...

which of these two books do you want? Mediterranean Street Food (HarperCollins, 2002) or Savory Baking from the Mediterranean?

Leila Abu-Saba said...

MEditerranean street food is a classic. I own my own copy and I give it away for gifts. It's lovely, the recipes work, and there are plenty of pictures as well as informative, personal narrative. She's really something.

I also own her paperback about Lebanese food - it contains recipes like pumpkin kibbeh, stuff I didn't know existed.

You have a lot of handsome female fans, Rami; I was going to try to get the book for you, too, but Ms. Levantine beat me to it.

Leila Abu-Saba said...

By the way, here is the original link, with pictures and recipes, on the SF Chronicle site, where it first appeared. I was surprised that I missed this since Helou is one of my favorite authors. It came out last year when our family was in mourning and I guess I just skipped the food pages.