Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gaza calling

Hello, This is the IDF...

Gaza Phone Tag

By MUHAMMAD ALI KHALIDI

"…hundreds of thousands of Gazans have received warnings in the form of telephone messages or fliers that their buildings are Israeli targets…"

-- New York Times, 1 January 2009

Israeli soldier: Hello, Abdul, this is the Israel Defense Forces speaking…

Palestinian civilian: My name isn't Abdul, I think you have the wrong number.

I: As I said this is the IDF, we never have wrong information.

P: So how can I help you?

I: I'm just calling to warn you to evacuate your place because of an imminent airstrike on a Hamas target in your building.

P: But there's no Hamas in my building.

I: Not even on your street?

P: No, there was a Hamas member of parliament on the next street but you put him in jail.

I: Must be old information, anyway, there's going to be an airstrike so you better go.

P: Can you tell me where you'd like me to go to?

I: It's not my business, check into a hotel, stay with relatives on the beach, take a vacation in Cyprus, just go.

P: I've been unemployed for a year because of your siege so I can't afford a hotel right now. My relatives just got bombed on the beach, in the Shati' refugee camp. And I can't get out of Gaza because no one can leave.

I: Don't blame me, I'm just warning you.

Read the rest of this excellent article in Counterpunch by dear Muhammad Ali

No comments: